I’ve wanted to do a Blanche style kit-bash mini for a long time and finally got an excuse to do a Tech-priest for my next army project! The actual conversion was easy and a lot of fun! With the amount of bits available from all the various GW kits out there now it’s basically just a matter of how much imagination you’ve got!
Other than a tiny bit of greenstuff work on the back it’s all just plastic bits! There are some pics of him before I started painting here.
Not the most unique conversion maybe but by combining the Wraith body with the Necromancer’s torso and legs I got a “non floating” version of this otherwise pretty common conversion. Some Skaven, Ork, Dark Eldar and of course Chaos bits later and PRESTO.. instant Tech-priest!
I had this idea to try to stay within the iconic Blanche sketchbook color palette when painting this. So I chose to stay away from cooler colors and really stick to kind of the red/yellowish-brown scheme that pervades John Blanche’s sketches. It effected my painting more than I thought it would and turned out to be a lot more challenging and different than I expected it to be! I started with the red cloak and then decided to paint the top layer as worn leather for some contrast without having to vary the colors too much. Another fun part was the canister of (gasoline/urin?) attached to his left side. I tried to paint the empty part of the jar to appear transparent like the reddish-browns of the leather and cloak behind it were showing through and reflecting off the surface and I think it turned out pretty alright!
I built and painted the base in the middle of painting the Tech-priest and it was nice to take a break and focus on something else for a minute letting me come back with fresh eyes to finish him off. I’d had this idea of a cyber-mastiff or something accompanying him on the base so I chose to go for a 40mm base. Here’s a couple pictures of just the base before any minis went on it here.
As for his companion… at the end of the day I went with a “spider servo skull” instead of the cyber-mastiff and, still in “kitbash-mode”, I put it together using mostly bits from the Dark Eldar Talos kit! I wanted the servo skull walking off the slab of rubble and thought that getting the legs attached in the right angle might be hard without measuring first.. unfortunately I’m far to impatient for stuff like that and went ahead and just super glued it all together and apparently my perception skills are top notch since it was all angled perfectly! :P
All in all a super fun and much more challenging project than I thought it would be when I started. I learned a lot and think it turned out pretty ok! Thanks for taking the time to check it out. If you’ve got any comments or questions don’t hesitate to post them!
You can also find pictures of him over at: